Mikro Chorio that literally means Small village, is one of the most popular tourist destinations of the Eyritania prefecture. It is comprised of New Mikro Chorio and Old Mikro Chorio, in a location of great natural beauty. It is actually the area where the mountains of Velouchi, Kaliakouda, and Chelidona meet each other.
The old Mikro Chorio is at an altitude of 900 meters, 13 kilometers away from Karpenisi, and 2 kilometers away from the new Mikro Chorio. It’s a very important place for Greek and European history since here took place the first battle against fascists in Europe on 18 December 1942. The enemy forces as a retaliation they killed by burning alive 13 locals.
Another important date in the history of the village was 13 January 1963 when ⅔ of the village was destroyed by a landslide, after days of heavy raining and 13 people lost their lives. In April 1963 a fundraiser started in order for the village to be rebuild. The new Mikro Chorio was ready in 1968, 2 kilometers away from old Mikro Chorio.
In the old village, there is a Historic and Folklore museum in the building where the preliminary school of the old Mikro Chorio used to be. The museum has a room showing videos about the history of the village and a very rich library with books that among others include the history of the area.