Panagia Faneromeni Church

Nea Peramos Kavala Attraction

Refugees from the 1922 Greek-Turkish war built a small chapel that was later upgraded into a church in 1945.

According to the tradition the icon of the Virgin Mary was found after a vision of a soldier of the Greek Army before their depart to Asia Minor in 1919. The first refugees that arrived in the area from Peramos of Asia Minor some years later in 1922 erected a small chapel in order to house the icon.

In 1945 and after a series of donations of the area inhabitants, a bigger church that stands on the same spot until today replaced the first one. Unfortunately, the icon of the Virgin Mary was stolen together with a great number of valuable vows and tributes in 1977.

About Panagia Faneromeni Church

Last updated: 18 Sep 2020

address Nikis 62, Nea Peramos Kavala, 640 07, Greece
nearby transportation