Palamidi is a military fort, built in a Baroque style on the east side of the city. It is built on a hill of 216 meters high by the Venetians during their second occupation period of the city (1686-1715). The fort erection was a big and very ambitious plan which was finished within just three years in 1714.
The bastions had Venetian names when the fort was built. Then they were renamed though during the Ottoman occupation into Turkish names and after Nafplio joined free Greece, the bastions received Greek names.
Some examples regarding the names of the eight bastions of Palamidi castle are:
- Bastion Leonidas
- Bastion Romber
- Bastion Agios Andreas
- Bastion Phokion
- Bastion Themistoklis
- Bastion Epaminondas
- Bastion Miltiades (Used as a prison for the hero of the War of Independence, Theodoros Kolokotronis.)
- Bastion Achilles
A visit to Palamidi offers everyone the opportunity to enjoy the great view of the city Nafplio and the Argolic Gulf.