It has the same name as the central square of Athens, and even if it’s not that famous, historically it has the same significance. It is the city center since 1540, while here was the Saray of the Ottoman governor of Peloponnese. The previous names of the square were "Platanos square", named after the huge plane tree that used to stand there, and also "Louis square" in honor of King Otto's father.
It is historical since during the movement of September the 3rd, when Greeks demanded a Constitution from King Otto, people gathered in two squares of Greece, the Constitution Square of Athens and this square in Nafplio in order to express their demand.
The current form of the square is the result of a reconstruction that happened in 1980. On Constitution square, there are some of the most important buildings of modern Greece’s history. This is the mosque that was used in 1928 as the first Parliament of liberated Greece, the Venetian building that houses the Archaeological Museum and the Trianon Theatre.
Other important landmarks are the house of the first governor of Greece Ioannis Kapodistrias and the house of the hero of the War of Independence, Theodoros Kolokotronis. The square is full of people all day long, is also full of cafeterias, bars, and restaurants, while it is the meeting point for every citizen and visitor of Nafplio.