The need of building the lighthouse was imperative due to the fact that the port of Alexandroupolis was a hub for the ships sailing to the Bosporus and the Black Sea from the Aegean and vice versa.
When was constructed the Lighthouse of Alexandroupoli?
The construction works started in 1850 by a French company and its operation (which was with acetylene) began in 1880. Later it was operated with oil and turned into electrical in 1974. It has undergone plenty of alterations and improvements while its last renovation was in 2002.
Its height is 18 meters (60 feet) above the ground, while its elevation from the sea level is 27 meters (88.6 feet). The lighthouse emits three white flashes of light every 15 seconds. The generated light reaches a distance of 24 nautical miles, ie approximately 44 km.