The Ecclesiastical Art Museum of Alexandroupoli was founded in 1975 and it was initially housed in two halls of the cultural center of the city alongside the cathedral of St. Nicolas. In 1982, it was transferred to the building where it is located today, a building that previously served as the "Leontarideio Urban School Boys".
Some of its most significant artifacts such as priceless icons and early printed bibles and books were brought by the Greek refugees from Asia Minor in 1923.
The visitor can admire about 400 exhibits from the 15th to the 20th century. The collection is divided into four sections, one in each of the four areas of the museum. The museum includes literally the religious and ecclesiastical history of the area with Byzantine vestments, utensils, sculptures and ecclesiastical books.