The Ancient Agora (: marketplace) of Thasos covers an area of 80x100 square meters (861x1076 square feet). This is the main place of gathering for the residents of the capital city. Essentially it was the nucleus of city life, as it was the political, administrative, and religious center. The ancient agora is a monumental complex that received its final form through countless reconstructions and renovations over the centuries. The earliest constructions date back to the 6th century BC.
The archaeological site was revealed after the excavations began in 1911 by the French School of Archaeology. The major part of them was held from 1948 to 1955 but excavation projects of the French School of Archaeology continue until today.
Two of the temples that existed in the ancient market were those of Agoraios Zeus and the temple of Theagenes. Theagenes was an Olympic champion and the son of Hercules who was worshiped in Thassos as a hero healer. A major characteristic of the agora was the numerous arcades which were surrounding the site, while there were many religious and public buildings as well.