Monastery of Panagia Vrontiani (Vronta)

Religious site in Samos

The oldest monastery of the island dates to 1566 and is located close to the village of Kokkari at an altitude of 458 meters.

Dedicated to the Birth of the Virgin Mary it is the most significant monastery of Samos that stands for its wonderful frescoes as well as its gold plated wood-carved iconostasis

What does Panagia Vrontiani mean?

The name of the monastery (Vronta, Vrontiani) derives from the Greek word "Vronti" which means "thunder". Thus it is related to its location where it is very common that the strong wind blows accompanied by numerous thunders. Another nickname of the monastery is "Kokkariani" and this because of its proximity to the village of Kokkari.

When was the Vronta Monastery founded?

The monastery was built in 1566 by the monks Makarios and Iakovos who were also biological brothers. It was founded near the older ruins of a church of the Virgin Mary and is dedicated to the birthday of the Virgin Mary. There are many historical reports of the monastery by Greek and foreign travelers of the island over the centuries, while it is the most important surviving monastic complex of Samos.

Of particular architectural importance is the Byzantine chapel of the Transfiguration of the Savior located in the southeastern wing of the first floor of the monastery. Another characteristic of the monastery that attracts many visitors is the wood-carved iconostasis in its chapel.

Finally, despite the catastrophic fire that destroyed a big part of the monastery in 2000, the fraternity of monks and the abbot worked tirelessly and have brought the monastery almost to its previous state.

About Monastery of Panagia Vrontiani (Vronta)

Last updated: 7 May 2021

Location
address Moni Vronta, Samos, 831 00, Greece
nearby transportation
×