The building of the Municipal Theatre of Piraeus is one of the landmarks and one of the most historic places in the city. It was designed by the architect Ioannis Lazarimos and it was built in 1895. The style of the building is purely classicist, influenced by the style of the German architect Ernst Moritz Theodor Ziller, who designed more than 900 buildings in Athens and was the most famous architect in Greece at the end of the 19th century.
The main entrance consists of four Corinthian columns and a pediment. Inside there is an auditorium with 1.300 seats, separated in arena, balconies, and boxes. The stage is one of the few Baroque style stages that still exist in Europe. Behind the scene are the rooms for the actors and a sitting place for them. During the first years of its function, the auditorium was lighted by a chandelier that was working with gas.
Since its foundation, a great number of important Greek directors and actors have directed and played on this stage. While for a long period of time, the building hosted the Municipal Gallery of Piraeus.
Over the years there have been many works of maintenance in the interior and the exterior, but in 2008 a total, radical restoration began. This was completed in October 2013 and now the renovated theatre adorns the center of Piraeus.