The monastery of Agios Panteleimon is widely known as the "Russian monastery". This is due to the fact that in 1169 AD the monastery was granted to Russia and Russian monks were always a majority.
It was founded in the beginning of the 11th century and it was built in a place called Palaiomonastiro. During the 13th century, it was under the protection of Serbia and its growth declined in the 17th century because of the continuous attacks by pirates.
The monastery took its current form in 1765 and the eight domes of the main church were built between 1812 and 1821. The Katholikon (main church) is dedicated to Agios Panteleimon and it stands out for its huge bell, which is the largest in Mount Athos, with a diameter of 2,7 meters and weight of 13 tons.
The monastery has 35 smaller churches and 4 sketes (very small monastery) under its responsibility. Almost 70 monks live permanently there and the monks follow a strict program of praying and taking care of daily chores.
The monastery is located on the west side of the peninsula and is 15 kilometers away from the capital of Karyes. The guests can visit the library, with 1320 Greek and 600 Russian hand scripts as well as 25000 printed books.