Cathedral of Kavala dedicated to the first Apostle who entered Europe and preached Christianity.
The Cathedral of St. Paul is an impressive church of Kavala that is situated at Omonia street, one of the largest and most commercial streets of the city. It is dedicated to Apostle Paul who reached today's Kavala (that time was named Neapolis) and preached Christianity.
The church building process was initiated by a group of faithful inhabitants in 1900. And after asking for permission from the Ottoman rulers of that time, the official foundation was made by the bishop of Kavala Ioakim Sgouros. The inauguration of the cathedral took place in 1926 while architecturally both the exterior and the interior adopt a new-renaissance style.
The interior murals are excellent examples of Byzantine iconography and are considered wonderful pieces of art. For this reason, the cathedral of Kavala apart from a place for praying serves also as an attraction for a big number of tourists who visit the city.