Small Byzantine Church of the 12th century that bears its founder's name, it's located in the Omonia Square, and dedicated to St. Nicholas.
One of the 13 Byzantine and post-Byzantine churches of Kastoria is this of Saint Nicholas of Kasnitzis that is modest in size but dominates the Omonia Square that is close to the Byzantine Acropolis of the city.
Who built the church of Agios Nikolaos Kasnitzis?
The owner and donor of the church was the Byzantine official (master) Nikiforos Kasnitsis. We understand this from a representation close to the entrance where the master and his wife Anna offer a replica of the church to St. Nikolaos.
What is the decoration of the church of Agios Nikolaos Kasnitzis?
The church is relatively small and has one room while its frescoes are preserved in fairly good condition. These depict scenes from Christ's life as well as full-length figures of Saints. The narthex is adorned with scenes from the life of St. Nicholas and the representation of Deisis, with Christ depicted in an older age. Based on their style, the frescoes date back to the end of the 12th century and the period of the Komnenians Emperors (1081-1185).
The masonry of the church is similar to other churches of Kastoria of that period. It consists of stones, which alternate with plinths and form various geometric shapes. The church has also a decorative frieze with rectangular clay tiles, while the last restoration took place in 1952.