The archaeological museum of Chania is the former Venetian convent of St. Francis. It started operating as a museum in 1963. Nobody knows exactly when it was built but it seems it survived the big earthquake of 1595.
During the Ottoman period, it was used as a mosque and it was named after the conqueror of Chania Yussuf Pasha. By the end of the 20th century, the use of the building was totally changed and it was used as a cinema, whereas during the Second World War it was served as a military storehouse.