Avdira is the hometown of the great Greek philosopher Democritus and is located 35 kilometers away from the city of Xanthi. According to mythology, the city was founded by Hercules himself to honor his battle partner Avdiros, who was killed by the horses of Diomedes.
A series of archaeological findings though suggest that the city was founded in the 7th century BC by Klazomenoi, the Ionian citizens from Minor Asia and then the colony was enforced by citizens of the city Teo from Minor Asia as well. The city flourished culturally and economically especially after the Persian Wars and has been the most important member of the First Athenian Alliance after Athens. In the years that followed, Avdira were conquered by Trivalloi, Macedonians, Selefkides, and Ptolemies.
In 170 BC it was conquered by Romans and entered an era of gradual decline. By the end of ancient times, Avdira was an insignificant city, limited inside the walls of the acropolis (citadel). During the Byzantine Era, it was moved further north, in a place called Paliochora.
The excavations of the ancient city started in 1950 and the reconstruction and preservation of the findings continue until today. Among the most important relics that the visitor will observe in the archaeological site is the "House of Dolphins", a house of the classical era that has a mosaic with dolphins on the floor. It is located on the west side, where there are many Roman houses. Very close to the port of the city there are also very important findings, such as defensive walls, a temple dedicated to an ancient goddess, and a cemetery of the Hellenistic period.