The monument of the Unknown Sailor is located in a central location of Andros Town, in the homonymous square of Unknown Sailor. This square was created after a bombing of World War II when all the buildings of the area were flattened.
The owners of the area where members of the Empeirikos family who donated the area to the municipality, while the Goulandris family created this monument.
The inauguration of the monument took place in 1959. In 2001 the statue due to stormy winds fell from his position but returned after the necessary restorations.