Ladadika is a historic district and landmark of Thessaloniki that is located very close to the port of the city. For centuries it was one of the most important market places of Thessaloniki and its name comes from the great number of shops that were selling and trading olive oil.
Initially Ladadika was one of the first neighborhoods of the Jews of Thessaloniki since many Jewish families had their houses here. In the period before the First World War, it became the "red light district" of Thessaloniki since it started to host many brothels, while after the big fire of 1917 the area significance fades.
For the following years, Ladadika receives the status of a half-abandoned area. The declining process lasts until the big earthquake of Thessaloniki in 1978 and in 1985 Ladadika is being listed by the Greek Ministry of Culture as a Heritage Site.
Thus, According to legislation the special architectural style of Ladadika is preserved and protected. This fact transforms the area into an "actual museum" that shows to each visitor the architectural style of Thessaloniki during the 19th century.
Today, and after the extensive restoration processes of the '80s, Ladadika is one of the most famous entertainment districts of Thessaloniki. A great variety of bars, pubs, clubs, restaurants, and tavernas which are housed here attract numerous tourists and locals.
Its fame transforms it into a destination anyways, while the visitors regardless of their age and their background offer a vivid and special notion to the area which actually "never sleeps"!