Nikiti is one of the oldest villages of Halkidiki and capital of Sithonia Municipality. It is located 105 kilometers away from Thessaloniki and 36 kilometers away from Polygyros.
The name of the village derives from "gi tou Neakitou" (land of Neakitos), a small monastery that existed until 1300 AD and administratively belonged to Xenofon monastery of Agion Oros. It had 700 years of history, and as a result, its name survived in the oral tradition of the inhabitants. Thus, the official name of the village from the period of the struggle of independence from the Ottoman Empire until 1988 was Nikita, while later on, it received its current name.
From the ’50s, Nikiti started to expand towards the sea, while in the broader area there was a development in terms of infrastructure and facilities. Today, it is one of the most popular resorts of Sithonia, attracting thousands of tourists every year.
Nikiti is famous for its honey, with more than 130 professional beekeepers who live and work in the area. They produce annually more than 900 tons of different types of honey that are well-known for the finest quality.