It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that the sunset of Santorini is the most famous characteristic of the island. There are thousands of tourists who visit the island for exactly that.
Why Santorini's sunset is so unique?
Countless factors come together and create the majestic sunset of Santorini. Only some of them are:
- The extraordinary landscape of the Caldera that was created by a volcanic eruption creates the ideal scenery
- The orientation of the two main settlements, Oia and Fira which are located on the edge of the Caldera, is perfect to the west
- The weather circumstances in Greece and the clarity of the horizon in the Aegean Sea reach almost always an ideal status
- The observation perspective (due to the Caldera heights) gives the perception that the sun dives in the waters of the Aegean
- The sunlight reflects on the water surface and the created colors are spectacular.
What is the best spot to see Santorini Sunset?
Many people reach every day the cliff of Oia, Imerovigli, or Firostefani with their loved ones and wait to see the sun disappearing in the golden water of Aegean. The sunset spectators seeking the best perspective can be found almost everywhere at the Cardera side, but the whole spectacle that takes place in Oia is really something special.
Some time, even hours before the sunset, great numbers of people get a place at the right edge of Oia village. The spectators really cover every single corner of the cobblestone alleys, the fences, and the open space of this part of the settlement. They all admire the natural phenomenon of the sunset like a film movie, and suddenly when the sun disappears in the waters of the Aegean Sea, they burst into applause.
Be part of a world-famous event
This recurring event is definitely a spectacle that creates a unique atmosphere and constructs an unforgettable experience for each visitor of Santorini island.
So regardless of the fact if someone is romantic or not, it is undoubtedly a lifetime experience, for just once, to mingle with the crowd and find out why the sunset of Santorini is famous worldwide.