The impressive fortification of the city of Thessaloniki that among other uses served as one of the most notorious prisons in Greece.
The Eptapyrgio is located at the north-eastern corner of Thessaloniki's fortification. The walls of the fortification date from 279-395 BC when the Roman emperor Theodosius fortified the city. Those were already existing some years before the official foundation of Thessaloniki in 315 BC by Cassander.
The monument is also known by its Turkish name "Yedi Kule" since it also served as an Ottoman fortress for some centuries. The Greek name Eptapyrgio and the Turkish Yedi Kule have exactly the same meaning since they literally mean "seven towers". The fortification gained its name probably from the Yedikule fortress in Constantinople (today's Istanbul).
It was for centuries the major bastion of the defense of the city and during the Ottoman era, it served as the headquarters of the commander of the guard. During the 1890's Eptapyrgio was converted to a prison. This use remained until 1989 when an extended restoration project under the Ministry of Culture started. There are actually many references about the infamous prison of Yedi Kule that finally closed and moved to the Diavata area.
Looking for a hotel near «Eptapyrgio Fortification»?
Useful information about «Eptapyrgio Fortification»
|address||Eptapirgiou, Thessaloniki 546 34, Greece|