The"trademark" that made the name of the island famous worldwide, is the statue of Aphrodite of Milos. It is a dazzling work of Hellenistic art that harmoniously highlights the feminine nature, being to this day a symbol of unsurpassed beauty.
How is the statue of Aphrodite of Milos?
The statue of Aphrodite of Milos is made of Parian marble and has a height of 2.02 meters. According to researchers it was created at around 100 BC. and represents Aphrodite, despite earlier claims that she was Amphitrite.
Although it was found mutilated, it is speculated that the goddess was holding an apple or a mirror in her left hand or that she was holding the shield of the god Mars with both hands. Her torso is bare and a garment covers her legs. It rests on its right leg, while its left one bends forward and to the left, with the torso bending and twisting, giving the feeling of movement.
Until today, the creator of the statue whose name was at its base, which has been partially destroyed, has not been identified. But it is attributed either to Agisandros or Alexander, although it was initially claimed to be the work of Praxiteles.
Where was the statue of Aphrodite of Milos found?
The statue of Aphrodite of Milos was found by a farmer during the spring of 1820 in a field of the archeological site in Klima of Milos. The farmer, due to the pressure from the French who were on the island at that time, as well as from Milos nobles, gave the statue to the French and it ended up in the Louvre Museum, where it is exhibited until today.
A copy of the statue is displayed today in the Milos Archaeological Museum. This copy was later donated by the Louvre Museum.